Welcome to our Reddit Recommends series, where we explore the best of what the internet has to offer! Today, we’re diving into the world of 2D platformers, a genre that has been beloved by gamers for decades. With so many incredible games to choose from, we turned to the wisdom of the crowd and asked the Reddit community to share their favorite 2D platformers. So whether you’re a seasoned gamer or just starting out, join us as we uncover the top picks and find out what makes these games truly special. Let’s get started!
Reddit Recommends: What is the Best 2D Platformer?
What is a 2D Platformer?
Characteristics of a 2D Platformer
A 2D platformer is a type of video game that features a character that runs, jumps, and interacts with the environment to progress through levels. These games typically have simple controls, with the player character moving left and right and jumping over obstacles. Here are some of the key characteristics of a 2D platformer:
- Single player mode: Most 2D platformers are designed for a single player experience, although some may include multiplayer options.
- Level-based progression: Players progress through the game by completing levels, each of which may have its own unique challenges and obstacles.
- Jumping and running mechanics: Jumping and running are core mechanics in 2D platformers, and players must use these skills to navigate the game world.
- Enemies and obstacles: Players must avoid or defeat enemies and overcome obstacles such as pits, spikes, and traps to progress through the levels.
- Collectibles: Many 2D platformers include collectibles such as coins, stars, or other items that players can collect to unlock new abilities or levels.
- Difficulty: 2D platformers can range from casual to extremely challenging, with some games requiring precise timing and timing to complete levels.
- Pixel art graphics: Many 2D platformers feature pixel art graphics, which create a retro-style aesthetic that appeals to many players.
- Variety of themes: 2D platformers can be set in a variety of themes, including fantasy, sci-fi, and retro-inspired worlds.
- Challenging boss battles: Some 2D platformers include boss battles, which challenge players to use their skills and timing to defeat powerful enemies.
Types of 2D Platformers
There are several types of 2D platformers, each with their own unique gameplay mechanics and challenges. Here are some of the most common types:
- Side-scrolling platformers: These are the most traditional type of 2D platformer, in which the player moves from left to right or right to left, while the background scrolls to create the illusion of motion. Examples include Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, and Donkey Kong.
- Single-screen platformers: In these games, the player moves within a fixed environment, with new levels or challenges appearing as the player progresses. Examples include Mega Man, Contra, and Minesweeper.
- Endless runners: These games feature a continuous, non-stop action where the player must navigate a character through an endless environment while collecting power-ups and avoiding obstacles. Examples include Temple Run, Subway Surfers, and Jetpack Joyride.
- Metroidvania-style platformers: These games feature interconnected levels and a large, open world to explore. The player can backtrack to previously visited areas to access new areas or find hidden items. Examples include the Metroid series, Castlevania series, and Ori and the Blind Forest.
- Puzzle-platformers: These games combine platforming gameplay with puzzle-solving mechanics. The player must navigate a character through a series of obstacles, while also solving puzzles to progress. Examples include Portal, Limbo, and Braid.
- Action-adventure platformers: These games feature a mix of platforming and action gameplay, with RPG elements such as character progression and questing. Examples include the Batman: Arkham series, Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Diablo III.
Each type of 2D platformer offers a unique experience, with their own set of challenges and gameplay mechanics.
Popular 2D Platformers on Reddit
Top Picks by the Community
One of the most popular genres of video games is the 2D platformer. These games typically involve running, jumping, and dodging obstacles in a two-dimensional environment. The community on Reddit has recommended several 2D platformers that are worth checking out.
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. is one of the most iconic 2D platformers of all time. It was first released in 1985 and has since become a beloved classic. The game follows the adventures of Mario and Luigi as they navigate through various levels, collecting coins and power-ups while avoiding enemies and obstacles. The game’s tight controls, charming graphics, and catchy music have made it a favorite among gamers of all ages.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog is another classic 2D platformer that has been around since 1991. The game features fast-paced gameplay, with players controlling Sonic as he runs through levels at high speeds, performing jumps and spins to defeat enemies and collect rings. The game’s smooth animations, catchy music, and distinctive characters have made it a fan favorite.
Rayman Legends is a more recent 2D platformer that was released in 2013. The game features beautiful hand-drawn graphics and smooth animations, as well as challenging levels that require precise platforming skills. Players control Rayman as he navigates through various worlds, fighting off enemies and collecting collectibles. The game’s level design is highly creative, with each level offering a unique and memorable experience.
Ori and the Blind Forest
Ori and the Blind Forest is a 2D platformer that was released in 2015. The game features stunning visuals and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack, as well as challenging gameplay that requires precise platforming skills and timing. Players control Ori as they navigate through a beautiful forest, fighting off enemies and solving puzzles. The game’s level design is highly creative, with each level offering a unique and memorable experience.
Celeste is a 2D platformer that was released in 2018. The game features challenging gameplay, with players controlling Celeste as she climbs a mountain, avoiding deadly traps and obstacles. The game’s level design is highly creative, with each level offering a unique and memorable experience. The game’s soundtrack is also highly praised, with each level featuring a beautiful and emotional song.
These are just a few of the top picks recommended by the community on Reddit for 2D platformers. Whether you’re a fan of classic games or newer releases, there’s sure to be a 2D platformer out there that will provide hours of fun and challenge.
Reasons for Their Popularity
Many popular 2D platformers on Reddit have captivating storylines that keep players engaged and interested in the game. These narratives often involve intriguing characters, immersive worlds, and exciting plot twists that motivate players to continue exploring and overcoming challenges. For instance, games like “Undertale” and “Cuphead” have unique storylines that have become a significant part of their overall appeal.
High-Quality Graphics and Animation
Another reason for the popularity of 2D platformers on Reddit is their impressive graphics and animation. Many of these games feature hand-drawn artwork and smooth animations that enhance the overall gaming experience. Visually appealing games like “Ori and the Blind Forest” and “Hollow Knight” have gained a significant following on Reddit due to their stunning artwork and engaging gameplay.
Many 2D platformers on Reddit are known for their challenging gameplay, which provides players with a sense of accomplishment when they overcome obstacles and complete levels. These games often require precision, timing, and skill, making them appealing to players who enjoy a good challenge. Examples of games with challenging gameplay include “Super Meat Boy” and “Rayman Legends,” which have garnered a dedicated following on Reddit.
Wide Range of Characters and Fanbases
Another reason for the popularity of 2D platformers on Reddit is the wide range of characters and fanbases they attract. Many of these games feature unique and memorable characters that resonate with players, leading to the formation of dedicated fanbases. Games like “Banjo-Kazooie” and “Crash Bandicoot” have developed strong followings on Reddit due to their lovable characters and nostalgic appeal.
Accessibility and Replayability
Finally, many popular 2D platformers on Reddit are accessible and replayable, making them ideal for players who enjoy revisiting their favorite games. These games often offer multiple paths, hidden secrets, and challenges to discover, encouraging players to replay levels and explore different options. Games like “Minecraft” and “Pokémon” have gained popularity on Reddit due to their endless possibilities and replay value.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a 2D Platformer
When considering the best 2D platformer, it is important to evaluate the gameplay mechanics. The gameplay mechanics encompass the various elements that make up the game’s core gameplay, such as movement, jumping, combat, and puzzle-solving. The mechanics should be engaging, intuitive, and challenging to provide an enjoyable gaming experience. Here are some key aspects to consider when evaluating the gameplay mechanics of a 2D platformer:
Controls and Movement
The controls and movement of a 2D platformer are critical to the overall gameplay experience. Controls should be intuitive and easy to learn, allowing players to seamlessly move their characters around the game world. The movement mechanics should include a variety of actions, such as running, jumping, sliding, and gliding, to keep the gameplay engaging and dynamic.
Jumping and Platforming
Jumping and platforming are the cornerstone mechanics of 2D platformers. The ability to jump and navigate across platforms, obstacles, and hazards is the core of the gameplay experience. A well-designed jumping and platforming system should be responsive, intuitive, and challenging, providing players with a sense of accomplishment when they successfully complete a challenging jump or platforming section.
Combat and Enemies
Combat and enemies are an essential aspect of many 2D platformers. The combat system should be intuitive and easy to understand, allowing players to engage in battles with enemies and bosses. The enemies should be varied, challenging, and well-designed, providing players with a sense of accomplishment when they defeat them. The combat mechanics should also include special moves, combos, and power-ups to add depth and variety to the gameplay experience.
Puzzle-solving is another essential element of many 2D platformers. The puzzles should be challenging, yet intuitive, and provide players with a sense of accomplishment when they successfully complete them. The puzzles should be well-designed, with clear objectives and hints, and should gradually increase in difficulty as the player progresses through the game.
Overall, the gameplay mechanics of a 2D platformer are critical to the overall gameplay experience. A well-designed gameplay system should be engaging, intuitive, and challenging, providing players with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when they overcome obstacles and complete levels. By carefully evaluating the controls, movement, jumping and platforming, combat and enemies, and puzzle-solving mechanics, players can find the best 2D platformer that meets their preferences and provides hours of entertainment.
Story and Characters
When it comes to 2D platformers, the story and characters can play a significant role in the overall experience. Here are some factors to consider:
- Plot and narrative structure: The plot and narrative structure of a 2D platformer can greatly impact the player’s engagement with the game. A well-crafted story can create a sense of immersion and make the player feel invested in the game’s world and characters. On the other hand, a weak or non-existent plot can leave the player feeling disinterested and disengaged.
- Character development: The development of the game’s characters can also be an important factor in the overall experience. Characters that are well-defined and have a clear arc can make the player feel more invested in their journey. Additionally, characters that are likable and relatable can make the player more emotionally attached to the game’s story.
- Dialogue and voice acting: Dialogue and voice acting can greatly enhance the player’s experience with the game’s story and characters. Well-written dialogue can add depth and complexity to the characters, while voice acting can bring the characters to life and make them feel more realistic. However, poorly written dialogue or voice acting can detract from the player’s experience and make the characters feel flat and uninteresting.
- Player agency: Finally, the player’s agency in the game’s story can also impact their experience. A game that allows the player to make choices that affect the story can create a sense of ownership and investment in the game’s world and characters. However, a game that has a linear story with little to no player agency can leave the player feeling like they have little control over the outcome of the game.
Difficulty and Longevity
When it comes to choosing a 2D platformer, difficulty and longevity are two important factors to consider. The difficulty of a game can greatly impact the overall experience, while longevity determines how long players will be able to enjoy the game.
- Difficulty: A challenging game can be more satisfying to play, but it can also be frustrating if it becomes too difficult. On the other hand, an easy game can be enjoyable, but it may not provide much of a challenge. The ideal difficulty level will depend on the player’s skill level and preferences.
- Longevity: A game that is too short can feel like a waste of time, while a game that is too long can become tedious. The ideal length of a game will depend on the player’s available time and interest in the game. Some players may prefer shorter games that can be completed in one sitting, while others may prefer longer games that can be played over a longer period of time.
Both difficulty and longevity are important factors to consider when choosing a 2D platformer. It is important to find a game that is challenging enough to be enjoyable, but not so difficult that it becomes frustrating. Additionally, it is important to find a game that is the right length for the player’s available time and interest in the game.
Price and Platform Availability
When selecting a 2D platformer, it is important to consider the price and platform availability. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Price: The price of a 2D platformer can vary widely, from free to several dollars. It is important to consider your budget when choosing a game. However, keep in mind that the price of a game does not always reflect its quality. Sometimes, a lower-priced game can offer just as much fun and enjoyment as a more expensive one.
- Platform Availability: Another important factor to consider is the platform availability of the game. Some 2D platformers are available on multiple platforms, such as PC, consoles, and mobile devices, while others may only be available on a single platform. It is important to consider which platforms you have access to and whether the game is available on those platforms. If you only have access to PC, for example, you may want to choose a game that is available on PC. If you primarily play on consoles, you may want to choose a game that is available on consoles.
By considering the price and platform availability of a 2D platformer, you can make an informed decision and choose a game that is both affordable and accessible to you.
Community Support and Updates
When choosing a 2D platformer, it’s important to consider the level of community support and updates the game receives. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Active Community: A game with an active community is more likely to have ongoing support and updates. Players can expect new content, bug fixes, and other improvements.
- User-Generated Content: Some platformers have features that allow players to create and share their own levels or mods. This can add significant replay value and keep the game fresh for players even years after release.
- Regular Updates: Games that receive regular updates are more likely to stay relevant and engaging. Look for games that have a history of consistent updates, even if they’re small ones.
- Developer Engagement: A developer who is actively engaged with their community can lead to a better gaming experience. Players can offer feedback and suggestions, which can be incorporated into the game.
- Online Communities: Some games have thriving online communities where players can share tips, strategies, and other insights. This can be a great resource for players looking to improve their skills or learn more about the game.
By considering these factors, players can choose a 2D platformer that will provide a rewarding and enjoyable experience over the long term.
Recap of the Best 2D Platformers
When it comes to choosing the best 2D platformer, there are several factors to consider. First and foremost, the game’s gameplay should be engaging and enjoyable. This includes elements such as level design, controls, and difficulty. Additionally, the game’s story and characters should be compelling and well-developed. The game’s graphics and sound effects should also be top-notch.
In terms of the best 2D platformers, there are several that stand out above the rest. These include:
- Super Mario Bros.: This classic game is still considered one of the best 2D platformers of all time. It features great level design, challenging gameplay, and memorable characters.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: This fast-paced game is known for its speed and agility, as well as its colorful graphics and catchy music.
- Castlevania: This series is known for its dark and eerie atmosphere, challenging gameplay, and intricate level design.
- Rayman: This game is known for its stunning graphics and creative level design, which often involves solving puzzles and navigating through obstacles.
- Donkey Kong Country: This game is known for its challenging platforming and inventive level design, which often involves using different types of enemies and obstacles to progress.
Overall, these games are considered some of the best 2D platformers due to their engaging gameplay, well-developed characters and story, and top-notch graphics and sound effects.
Final Thoughts on Choosing the Perfect 2D Platformer
When it comes to choosing the perfect 2D platformer, there are several factors to consider. These include gameplay mechanics, level design, graphics, sound, and replayability.
- Gameplay Mechanics: A good 2D platformer should have smooth and responsive controls that allow the player to easily move their character around the screen. The game should also have a variety of challenging obstacles and enemies that require the player to use different skills and strategies to overcome them.
- Level Design: The levels in a 2D platformer should be designed in a way that encourages exploration and discovery. They should be challenging but fair, with a good balance between difficulty and reward.
- Graphics: While graphics may not be the most important factor in a 2D platformer, they can still play a big role in creating an immersive and enjoyable experience. A good 2D platformer should have colorful and detailed graphics that bring the game world to life.
- Sound: The sound in a 2D platformer can be just as important as the graphics. A good soundtrack can help set the tone and atmosphere of the game, while sound effects can enhance the player’s experience by providing feedback on what is happening in the game.
- Replayability: A good 2D platformer should have some degree of replayability, whether it’s through multiple levels, secret areas, or different characters to play as. This helps to keep the player engaged and coming back for more.
Ultimately, the perfect 2D platformer will depend on personal preferences and playstyle. However, by considering these factors, players can find a game that suits their tastes and provides a challenging and enjoyable experience.
1. What is a 2D platformer?
A 2D platformer is a type of video game where the player navigates a character through a two-dimensional environment, typically by jumping, running, and dodging obstacles. The character’s goal is often to reach the end of the level or to defeat enemies.
2. Why is 2D platformer popular?
2D platformers are popular because they are often simple, yet challenging, and offer a lot of replay value. They are also easy to pick up and play, making them great for casual gamers. Additionally, many 2D platformers have a strong nostalgic appeal, as they were popular in the 80s and 90s.
3. What are some popular 2D platformers?
Some popular 2D platformers include Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Rayman, and Castlevania.
4. What are some new 2D platformers that are worth playing?
Some new 2D platformers that are worth playing include Celeste, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Axiom Verge.
5. What makes a good 2D platformer?
A good 2D platformer has tight controls, challenging gameplay, a well-designed environment, and a sense of progression. It should also have a unique and memorable aesthetic and sound design.
6. Where can I find 2D platformers?
You can find 2D platformers on a variety of platforms, including consoles, PC, and mobile devices. Many 2D platformers are available on online stores such as Steam, GOG, and the App Store.
7. Can 2D platformers be played on consoles?
Yes, many 2D platformers are available on consoles such as PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch.
8. Are 2D platformers suitable for children?
Many 2D platformers are suitable for children, but it depends on the specific game. Some games may have violent or mature themes, so it’s important to do your research before letting your children play.
9. Are 2D platformers difficult to play?
The difficulty of 2D platformers can vary greatly, but many of them are challenging and require skill and patience to master. Some games may have a learning curve, but with practice, anyone can become proficient at playing them.
10. Can I play 2D platformers online?
Some 2D platformers have online multiplayer modes, where you can compete against other players or cooperate to complete levels. However, many 2D platformers are single-player experiences.